Saturday, December 31, 2016

Top 50 Pop Songs of 2016


☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️☕️

When I think of 2016, nothing that comes to mind relates to music. Especially because Keri Hilson didn't release an album, which makes this now 6 years since her last feature. Sure Beyoncé """changed the game""" and virtually every artist I like released an album (except she who must not be named again), but I think the music of 2016 for the most part just floated on by. I even think last year was better.

I still listened of course, and I think I listened to enough to make my yearly list of pop songs I liked. Yes there are some odd ball choices, yes there are songs released in 2015, yes there are rap songs, but for the most part I'd call this a """pop""" playlist. I didn't include songs released from mid-October to December because I think it's too late for me to judge them on being a song of 2016 when they in fact could be much more popular in 2017 (take any song from La La Land for example, or Charli XCX's "After the Afterparty" - something I will no doubt include next year).

Like I said last year: if you disagree with me, that's great, you have an opinion, show me your list :)

Although there's one thing I WILL say: there will be no collaboration between HALSEY and THE CHAINSMOKERS on this list! I'm not a chaotic evil/Gemini (they ruined 2016). And just like last year, no Fifth Fourth Harmony or The Weeknd. I don't think I've ever felt anything special about either of them as artists. But I probably should've put "Worth It" on last year's list.

I hope you enjoy, and I made a spotify playlist for these songs and as many honorable mentions as I felt like putting in toward the end if you prefer to listen that way.

Let's just say goodbye to 2016 already.

just making sure this is the thumbnail when I share this on facebook, it was my favorite album of the year

MY TOP 50 ""POP"" SONGS OF 2016

#50. CAKE BY THE OCEAN - DNCE
My mom would probably be very excited that I put this song on here.

#49. HEY HEY HALLELUJAH (FEAT. ANDY GRAMMER) - RACHEL PLATTEN
I expect judgment for this.

#48. I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER - SHAWN MENDES & CAMILA CABELLO
I welcome judgment for this :)

#47. CHEAP THRILLS (FEAT. SEAN PAUL) - SIA
The fact that Sean Paul was on a Billboard #1 song in 2016 is probably a year highlight.

#46. DOWN IN THE DM (REMIX) [FEAT. NICKI MINAJ] - YO GOTTI
Nicki's verse <3

#45. SAX - FLEUR EAST
Haven't watched the music video that looks like a target commercial from the thumbnail but there it is.

#44. SOMEDAY (FEAT. MEGHAN TRAINOR) - MICHAEL BUBLÉ
I'm sorry.

#43. TIRED OF TALKING (A-TRAK & CORY ENEMY REMIX) - LÉON
I realized I'm putting a fair amount of remixes on the countdown this year, normally I don't care about them.

#42. SHOUT OUT TO MY EX - LITTLE MIX
This song is about someone who appears later on this list.

#41. A-YO - LADY GAGA
I'm still not crazy about Joanne though.

#40. REAPER - SIA
I hope this song gets in my head every time I'm playing the Sims and the Grim Reaper comes every time my Nicki Minaj sim pisses herself and dies of embarrassment. This has happened before.

#39. BROCCOLI (FEAT. LIL YACHTY) - D.R.A.M
Is this pop?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

#38. WHO DO YOU THINK OF? - M.O
I have a fond memory of myself listening to this song in an airplane.

#37. ALL MY FRIENDS (FEAT. CHANCE THE RAPPER & TINASHÉ) - SNAKEHIPS
Not the first time Chance is on this list ;)

#36. LOSE MY COOL - FOXES
Foxes released an album this year that was in the spirit of Carly Rae Jepsen and I think it was unappreciated. So she'll be here a few more times too.

#35. KISS IT BETTER - RIHANNA
This was co-written by Natalia Kills.

#34. FEVER - CARLY RAE JEPSEN
What would 2015-2016 be like if Carly hadn't released music?

#33. MAKE ME... (FEAT. G-EAZY) - BRITNEY SPEARS
A lot of people told me to listen to Britney's album this year, but honestly I thought half the songs were trash (especially toward the beginning) and the other half was great. I can't think of an album in recent memory that did that to me, and I'm still unsure of how to think of it. But I think you should give songs like this a chance (and another one coming soon that sounds like a Blackout Britney banger).

#32. DADDY LESSONS - BEYONCÉ
Couldn't find an audio of the actual album song but this is cool too.

#31. NOBODY BUT ME - MICHAEL BUBLÉ
No more surprises like this I promise.

#30. TOUCH - PIA MIA
Apparently she was on the Kardashian show?

#29. FINAL SONG - MØ
caption

#28. HATEFUCK - CRUEL YOUTH
From the artist formerly known as Natalia Kills.

#27. SMOKE AND FIRE - SABRINA CARPENTER
Yes it's from a Disney Channel star, but I stumbled across it one day and honestly... It's kind of a bop? Not a fan of the vocals though but I used to worship Hilary Duff so I can see past that.

#26. NOSTALGIA - VANESSA WHITE
Yeah I like R&B too.

#25. PILLOWTALK - ZAYN
lol

#24. LIAR - BRITNEY SPEARS
The Glory standout and (I think) her best song in years.

#23. NEVER BE LIKE YOU (FEAT. KAI) - FLUME
If I heard this song blasted on loud speakers, I would become religious.

#22. SCAR - FOXES
Foxes is probably the surprise artist on my list this year. I think she's tied for most appearances on this list with 2 other artists.

#21. CAN'T STOP THE FEELING - JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE
He's so #interesting because he did this in 4:3

#20. GROWN - LITTLE MIX
Speaking of artists tied for most appearances on this countdown... (the third hasn't even shown up once yet)

#19. STORE - CARLY RAE JEPSEN
I should've linked the vine compilation video to this instead.

#18. ALL I ASK - ADELE
still thinking about the "Store" vines

#17. NO PROBLEM (FEAT. 2 CHAINZ & LIL WAYNE) - CHANCE THE RAPPER
:D

#16. MY CHURCH - MAREN MORRIS
Don't judge too much, it's Country/Pop! And we all know how Taylor Swift started!

#15. COOL GIRL - TOVE LO
One of the funniest songs of the year.

#14. GREEDY - ARIANA GRANDE
SHE HAS ARRIVED

#13. AMAZING - FOXES
This is one of those songs where the first time I heard it I knew I would later put it on this list.

#12. SECRET LOVE SONG (FEAT. JASON DERULO) - LITTLE MIX
I've always thought of this song as kind of epic. Like it would be the final "Breaking Free" like number at the end of a musical.

#11. MAKE ME LIKE YOU - GWEN STEFANI
#very #relatable #song

#10. WHEN WE WERE YOUNG - ADELE
I'm surprised I haven't heard this more? And I spent 4 months in the UK this year.

#9. LOVE ON THE BRAIN - RIHANNA
Rihanna's perfect karaoke song for people who just want to prove they have a decent voice.

#8. FUCK APOLOGIES (FEAT. WIZ KHALIFA) - JOJO
The image of JoJo in a pool is giving me fun Aquamarine flashbacks.

#7. SIDE TO SIDE (FEAT. NICKI MINAJ) - ARIANA GRANDE
Fun fact: Last year, when Ariana and Nicki did "Get on Your Knees", it was my #9

#6. ROSES (FEAT. ROZES) - THE CHAINSMOKERS
While I'm rewarding the Chainsmokers for this good song I'm supposed to tell you how awful they are.

#5. FADE - KANYE WEST
weird video tho

#4. BLOODY MONSTER - DEQN SUE
It's more of a 2015 song but it really became popular after it popped up at the end of an Orange is the New Black episode this season. It's powerful and innovative, from start to finish (although there's a trigger warning for the intro, it contains language I would never use but of course is appropriate for the author).

#3. INTO YOU (FEAT. MAC MILLER) [ALEX GHENEA REMIX] - ARIANA GRANDE
I like this more than the original so it's here instead. Especially when you factor in the remixed chorus, I think it's one of the rare remixes that adds something substantial.

#2. FORMATION - BEYONCÉ
I could watch/listen to this all day.

#1. NO - MEGHAN TRAINOR
Yeah I get that this might make people mad, because Meghan Trainor is problematic and this music video is awful. But I don't care. I can talk about why I like this song so much but I don't think anyone wants to read that. However, thanks for reading if you came this far. And if you have any lists you've made, I'd love to see :)

SPOTIFY PLAYLIST (FEATURING HONORABLE MENTIONS)
<iframe src="https://embed.spotify.com/?uri=spotify%3Auser%3A12158695391%3Aplaylist%3A1Ugmvnd5JJNqdOGuIQ3YME" width="300" height="380" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

PAST #1s
2005 - 1, 2 Step (feat. Missy Elliott) - Ciara
2006 - Promiscuous (feat. Timbaland) - Nelly Furtado
2007 - Fergalicious (feat. Will.i.am) - Fergie
2008 - 4 Minutes (feat. Justin Timberlake & Timbaland) - Madonna
2009 - Knock You Down (feat. Kanye West & Ne-Yo) - Keri Hilson
2010 - Telephone - Lady Gaga & Beyoncé
2011 - Pretty Girl Rock - Keri Hilson
2012 - Everybody Talks - Neon Trees
2013 - Do What U Want (feat. R Kelly) - Lady Gaga
2014 - Problem (feat. Iggy Azalea) - Ariana Grande
2015 - California Winter - Bonnie McKee
2016 - NO - Meghan Trainor

No comments :

Post a Comment