Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Top 100 Pop Songs of the Decade



Every year, people ask me why I rank my favorite songs. Let me think about that...

When I look back at the beginning of the decade, I see myself in high school. And while it's a safe bet that most of us are somewhat embarrassed by who we were 10 years ago, especially when you're trying to finish puberty, I don't really cringe too much at what I used to wear (although I should!), what I thought was cool (or as we'd say back then, coolio) or what my AIM screen name used to be. That being said, I deserve to be a social pariah for wearing shutter shades for an 8th grade phase, but that was 2008. Sorry, I'm being vulnerable. There's a point to this. Anyways...

Instead, when I look back at who I was 10 years ago, I mostly feel empty. When you're growing up and just realizing you're gay, the world can be cruel to you, or at least you perceive that to be the case. Everyone used the word "gay" in such a negative context that I was made to feel that gay would be the worst thing in the world to be. So growing up in a time where that was the biggest buzz word for bullies reminded me every day of how terrible of a person my peers, but mostly just me, thought I was. My response to that? Pretending it didn't exist. Anything about my personality that I perceived to be effeminate, whether it was the things I said, the movies/shows I liked or the music I listened to, I tried to hide, or worse, stop. This, in a perfect cocktail with the social anxiety I already had, is why I look back and feel empty.

To be honest, I probably did a shit job at hiding that. I wore a Chelsea Lately T-shirt to school and tennis practice some days. (My defense back then? "She's hot!") But that aggressive mentality of trying to conceal or change my interests naturally made it emotionally taxing in the journey to become my own person. I couldn't talk about Disney or celebrities without being called gay, I deleted pop songs on my iPod so my friends wouldn't see my "gay" taste in music, I only talked about things everyone else liked (The Office, the Megan Fox vs Jessica Alba hotness debate, whatever Kanye was doing) so I knew I wouldn't get judged if I talked about them. If you go back on my Facebook, you can see direct evidence of this. One of my favorites is me photoshopping myself with Kristen Bell and Megan Fox, pretending to have a crush on both.

God only knows what is happening in this picture.

And this revelation of "I tried to be cool in high school" is nothing new, I know. I'm not pretending it is. Everyone's gone through this in some form. In my case, I just interpreted how society perceived me being different as something to be extremely shameful about every single day.

This was something I coped with some days better than others. But it was unfulfilling not being able to say I loved Demi Lovato's music. Or that I wanted to see High School Musical 3 in theaters (I saw it a decade later in 2018, it sucked). Thankfully, when I started college, I was done with this poisonous, complacent mentality, and I did something different: I talked about what I liked and what I didn't like, without fear of judgement. And that is one of the best decisions I've ever made.

In college, and since high school, I've made it a point to be more vulnerable, whether it's in person, on social media, writing this post, wherever. Not vulnerable like "hi person I just met at this party, you're my therapist now," but just more willing to express myself as I once tried not to do at a crucial time in developing my identity. An example of this was in 2015, when I decided to make a list of my most favorite pop songs of that year. 4 years later, that countdown, now a personal tradition, remains strong. And since we're about to start a new decade, I decided to honor the last decade of music I've listened to (even listing some I shut out while growing up) for you all here. And it's got plenty Demi Lovato, Beyoncé, and sadly even some Kanye. Because there's nothing wrong with having overlapping tastes with cool high schoolers :)

People ask me why I rank my favorite songs. One, because I love sharing the things I love now. Two, because it shows me how far I've came.

Happy new decade!
Ian
Or as I was known on AIM, computerdude12 😔

Scroll down for the list, but also are some spotify playlists if that's more convenient!

Left: Top 200, Right: Top 1000 đŸ„”


THE LIST:

100: Say Yes (feat. Beyoncé & Kelly Rowland) - Michelle Williams

99: Doing It (feat. Rita Ora) - Charli XCX

98: All Too Well - Taylor Swift

97: Ugly Heart - G.R.L.

96: Despacito (feat. Justin Bieber) [Remix] - Luis Fonsi & Daddy Yankee

95: I'm Not The Only One - Sam Smith

94: Take Me to Church - Hozier

93: Amazing - Foxes

92: Dancing On My Own - Robyn


91: Super Bass - Nicki Minaj

90: Popular Song (feat. Ariana Grande) - MIKA

89: Rolling In the Deep - Adele

88: Fight Song - Rachel Platten

87: Move - Little Mix

86: Truth Hurts - Lizzo

85: For You (Fifty Shades Freed) - Liam Payne & Rita Ora

84: Dressed In Black - Sia

83: Got Me Good - Ciara

82: IDGAF - Dua Lipa

81: Dusk Till Dawn (feat. Sia) [Radio Edit] - ZAYN

80: Your Song - Rita Ora

79: Uptown Funk (feat. Bruno Mars) - Mark Ronson

78: Motivation (feat. Lil Wayne) - Kelly Rowland


77: Monster - Kanye West, Jay-Z, Rick Ross, Nicki Minaj & Bon Iver

76: This Is Me - Keala Settle & The Greatest Showman Ensemble

75: Higher (feat. Labrinth) - Sigma

74: On the Floor (feat. Pitbull) Jennifer Lopez

73: Princess of China - Coldplay & Rihanna

72: Say You Love Me - Jessie Ware

71: Poison - Rita Ora

70: Motivation - Normani

69: Never Really Over - Katy Perry

68: Can't Remember To Forget You (feat. Rihanna) - Shakira

67: I Like It - Cardi B, Bad Bunny & J Balvin


66: Sweet but Psycho - Ava Max

65: Timber (feat. Ke$ha) - Pitbull

64: Anaconda - Nicki Minaj

63: New Rules - Dua Lipa

62: 2002 - Anne-Marie

61: With You - Kaskade & Meghan Trainor

60: Siren Song - MARUV

59: Rather Be (feat. Jess Glynne) - Clean Bandit

58: Black Heart - Stooshe


57: Let It Go - Idina Menzel

56: Into You - Ariana Grande

55: Try - P!NK

54: We Are Young (feat. Janelle MonĂĄe) - fun.

53: Ex's & Oh's - Elle King

52: Genius (feat. Sia, Diplo & Labrinth) - LSD

51: Bloody Monster - Deqn Sue

50: Lips Are Movin - Meghan Trainor

49: Latch (feat. Sam Smith) - Disclosure


48: Done For Me (feat. Kehlani) - Charlie Puth

47: Sunday Morning (feat. Josie Dunne) - Matoma

46: 212 (feat. Lazy Jay) - Azealia Banks

45: Greedy - Ariana Grande

44: All of the Lights - Kanye West


43: Walkashame - Meghan Trainor

42: Formation - Beyonce

41: Making the Most of the Night - Carly Rae Jepsen

40: Troublemaker (feat. Flo Rida) - Olly Murs


39: We Can't Stop - Miley Cyrus

38: Shallow - Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper

37: Somethin’ Bad (with Carrie Underwood) - Miranda Lambert

36: Rumour Has It / Someone Like You (Glee Cast Version) - Glee Cast

35: Blank Space - Taylor Swift

34: Oops (feat. Charlie Puth) - Little Mix

33: She Got Me - Luca HĂ€nni

32: Slow Down - Selena Gomez


31: Finesse (Remix) [feat. Cardi B] - Bruno Mars

30: Bartender - Lady Antebellum

29: Bailando (Spanish Version) [feat. Descemer Bueno & Gente de Zona] - Enrique Iglesias

28: Bang Bang - Jessie J, Ariana Grande & Nicki Minaj

27: Classic - MKTO

26: Side To Side (feat. Nicki Minaj) - Ariana Grande


25: Good Girl - Carrie Underwood

24: Countdown - Beyoncé

23: Heart to Break - Kim Petras

22: Ghost - Ella Henderson


21: Kill My Boyfriend - Natalia Kills

20: Woman (feat. The Dap-Kings Horns) - Kesha

19: Want You in My Room - Carly Rae Jepsen

18: Roses (feat. ROZES) - The Chainsmokers

17: Yoga - Janelle MonĂĄe & Jidenna


16: Do What U Want (feat. Christina Aguilera) - Lady Gaga

15: Talk Dirty (feat. 2 Chainz) - Jason Derulo

14: Want U Back - Cher Lloyd

13: The Middle - Zedd, Maren Morris & Grey

12: Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You) - Kelly Clarkson

11: California Winter - Bonnie McKee


10: Black Magic - Little Mix

9: Dark Horse (feat. Juicy J) - Katy Perry

8: Love on Top - Beyoncé


7: Sorry Not Sorry - Demi Lovato

6: NO - Meghan Trainor

5: Everybody Talks - Neon Trees

4: What's My Name? - Rihanna & Drake


3: Problem (feat. Iggy Azalea) - Ariana Grande


2: Telephone - Lady GaGa & Beyoncé


1: Pretty Girl Rock - Keri Hilson


No comments :

Post a Comment